Friday, February 22, 2008

If you're gonna do it, go all the way.

Today, I'm going to deviate from the everyday mainstream fashion and I'm going to talk about my favourite 'anti-fashions' :)

I spent the whole week thinking about what to write about today, and then it dawned on me that I should write about something that I find fascinating.

Punk
With all looks, it's good to do some research.
The problem with the punk subculture here in this country is everything is done half assed. They think punk = tie, plaid skirt, white shirt, knee high socks, boots and spiky hair.
Truth is... that isn't it. The punks back in the 70's never wore knee high socks.
To research for this look, it's best to read about the lady and the band who started it all in London. Vivienne Westwood is the pioneer of the punk look and to this day, her couture shows incorporate street fashion with high fashion. She's also the lady that I admire to no end, and I got my name from her :) Also, Sex Pistols. They are one of the first few bands who adopted the punk look. Think "God Save the Queen"!
The main aspect of being a punk is the attitude. Not really what you wear.
Anarchy is the only way to roll with the punks. Anti-everything.
And I'll explain why the punks are associated with chains and safety pins. When it started out, the punks were also anti-hygiene, apparently, and they never bothered keeping neat and tidy (or clean). When their clothes started to tear they just patched it up with chains and safety pins.

Goths
Everybody's opinions about this look is BLACK.
Yeah, that's true :)
White faces, red lips (or black), black clothes. I find the Goths fascinating, honestly, I do.
However, I'm not a goth-y person so I can't say much.. so all I'm gonna say is...
Don't imitate Marilyn Manson! He hates it. I hate it. Thank you.
Try to be individualistic at all times. Have your own opinions, fight for what you think is right and so on.
Oh, don't forget to terrorise the neighbourhood. The best part.
Just remember, corsets, metal, boots, fishnets, red lipstick and eyeliner!

Cyber Punks and Cyber Goths
I like to refer to them as 'The Cybers'. I love this look. Neon EVERYTHING. The only difference is the punks tend to be very bright and the goths tend to be darker with more corsets.
This look ain't too popular here in Malaysia (why?!) so I have never actually seen what people wear but I'll let you in on some stuff that I do know :)
Glow-in-the-dark pieces.
Seriously, guys... it's so cool (for me) when the UV lights hit your hair or outfit and suddenly, things start to glow. (Coco, they don't wear shuffle pants :D)
Dread falls/Foam falls/Plastic falls.
My favourite part of this whole look. Basically, it's fake hair, dreadlocked and strung unto a string and you tie it to your hair. It's awesome and it's such a statement, really. You can also incorporate non-hairy items to your falls. For example, glow-in-the-dark tubes, studded belts etc. You can top it all off with a thick black cloth hairband (to hide the transition from hair to falls). The foam falls are just foam done in the same way as the dreadlocks. Same goes for the plastic falls. Plastic falls tend to be stiff and sticky-outy.
Metal pieces.
Nobody's going to laugh at you and call you Xena if you wear this among a group of cybers. In fact, metal bras and panties with metal pieces at the crotch is a common sight.
Nets and mesh tops.
Fishnets... honestly, you can't have enough of this. Preferably in some shocking colour or another.
The furries.
Lately, there's been an increase in furry leg warmers. I see a couple of people I know wearing them and honestly, it's very cute.
Chunkiest boots in the world.
Tall? Chunky? Huge? PERFECT.
The best is to Google out what I've mentioned. Just type in 'cyber punks'.
And as always, learn the attitude :)

And if you're wondering why I know all this..
I admit, I love to dress up and terrorise the mainstream fashion followers.
And I have a whole crew of fashion terrorists. :) (No, you won't be able to find us in Sungei Wang) I think that we should all challenge the standing rules on fashion. Who cares what the experts say? If you like it, you dress it! That's what I say.
There are no pictures because, sadly, I know a few people who dress like this and look good but I'm not gonna use their pictures here. Google!

I still love the girly-girly things~
We'll leave the girly stuff to the other girls to blog about this week.. I love being extreme!

Now you guys can wait to see if Anna will post anything.


For everything else, there is,

Westwood

No comments: